Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Caramelized Onion Dip



Serious Eats posted a recipe for Michael Schwartz's Caramelized Onion Dip with Thick-Cut Potato Chips. I love onion dip! Normally I make the pouch version that just requires sour cream to be added, however the dehydrated onions always grossed me out. Thus, making this with fresh onions appealed to me. Of course I changed some of the ingredients to make this into a healthier version of the original and I changed some of the quantities too.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon of "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" or other butter substitute
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
1/2 cup light mayo
Chopped fresh chives

Put a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil and butter. When the butter has melted, add the onions and season with 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.



Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are a deep golden brown and caramelized, roughly 20 minutes. Watch carefully—you don’t want the onions to burn. Set aside and let cool.


In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth and free of lumps. Mix in the sour cream and mayo. Fold in the onions with all their juices; season again with salt and pepper if needed.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. I left this in the fridge over night. The next morning the dip looked like this.

And it smelled AMAZING!

I garnished with chives and put some potato chips on the side.


Considering that I used fat free or reduced fat ingredients for this dip, it still tasted extremely rich and full of flavor. I would also recommend not using the chips in the picture above. This dip is really thick so get some Ruffles instead. I got baked Ruffles and they were great. I took this dip to a meeting and a party. People that tried it really liked it. I will be making this again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More