Thursday, May 19, 2011

Poor Chick's Pho

A while back, I read an article on Serious Eats on Ramen Hacks. The first hack they showed was for Faux Pho. Looked very good and easy to make so I thought I would give it a try.

So today I give you Poor Chick's Pho.

Ingredients

1 Maruchan Ramen Noodle Soup Chicken Flavor
2 cups of water
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp fish sauce
1/2 tbsp sugar
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
Fixings: Thinly sliced beef, sprouts, cilantro, and sriracha

I boiled 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Once the water was brought to a boil, I added the ramen noodles. I broke up the noodles a bit in the bag before adding them in.



After that I added the sugar, fish sauce, lime juice, and 1/2 of the seasoning packet that came with the ramen.



I allowed this to cook for a few minutes until the noodles became soft.



Meanwhile, I brought out my fixings. I placed the thin strips of beef at the bottom of my serving bowl as shown.



When the noodles were ready and the broth was still hot, I poured it into the bowl and stirred a little to get the beef to cook.



It took a few minutes to get the beef to cook.



After that, I added my fixings and top.



Didn't forget the sriracha!



This was the second time that I made this. I really liked it. Was it just like pho? Not at all. Will it quench the need for a pho fix. No. However it was a good hot soup that was pho-like, kind of. Also, it was cheap to make and it didn't take much time to make it either. I would make this again on a cold day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More